Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Star Trek Movie Approaching At Warp Speed, Sir!

I noticed a new Star Trek movie when I stumbled upon its virtually content-free trailers. They are big on emotive grip, though: images of sweating welders with a sound track of classic clips from the first years of the space program, with the camera slowly giving the image of an Enterprise under construction. Looking over the official web site (warning: Flash), I note that there's no information about the timeline, characters, etc. However, it seems suggested that the story will pick up with the launch of the first Enterprise crew we knew from the TV series, complete with Kirk, Spock, Checkov, etc. -- but ... younger.

As seen here, the director of MI:III and Lost seems to envision Sylar from the first season of Heroes as the proper model for Spock. A bit much emotion in that one-handed choke hold, though. He's supposed to be half-Vulcan, and passionless. Or maybe they are playing on the half that isn't Vulcan, and writing him as an on-the-edge head case who hasn't yet mastered the irrational impulses with which he is cursed by his unnatural heritage. According to the web site, we're supposed to find out near Christmas, or else 5-8-09 -- a suggestion that maybe they blew an initial release target and ended up in summer of '09, and didn't take the time to re-edit all that Flash.

Being long addicted, I'll definitely want to see more ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, that's MISTER Spock. Dr. Spock was a real-life pediatrician.

Jaded Consumer said...

Touché.

Next, I suppose you'll tell me there's a Mister Rogers!

Oh, wait . . . .

Elliott said...

After the recent fall from grace (in my own humble opinion) of the Star Wars franchise, I am really looking forward to the new Trek film. I grew up watching the re-runs of the original series and am looking forward to a look back at the early days. I do worry, however, that a younger, youth market-oriented, couldn't-look-cooler-while-I-brood Kirk will create way too much dissonance with the memory of Shatner's glorious cheesiness. I hope they don't go that route. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...